These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Swiss Chard & Cheese Bread Pudding
From Fresh Harvest, LLC
<p>Adapted from Suzanne Goin’s recipe from <em>Food & Wine</em>.</p>Source: Adapted from Suzanne Goin’s recipe from <em>Food & Wine</em> (Entered by Peg Duthie)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound Swiss chard, stems and ribs discarded, leaves chopped
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheese, such as Gruyere or cheddar
3 cups rustic bread, roughly torn and crusts removed
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, thyme, red pepper, and cook until softened.
- Add Swiss chard and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let cool a bit.
- Mix cream and eggs together in a large bowl.
- Add chard and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add bread, stirring until moistened.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until set and golden brown.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings